Saturday, April 26, 2008

First Impressions

A recent encounter caused me to think about the importance of first impressions. Heather and I needed to take some clothes in to be altered. We walked into a large room with probably 15 sewing machines and about 10 women engaged in various stages of work. It seemed pretty obvious that we were viewed as an "intrusion" and several of the ladies expressed to their co-workers in Russian that they didn't have time for us. One older woman reluctantly consented to see what we needed and asked us to step into the dressing rooms where I tried on a pair of trousers. I had heard her speak briefly in Kazakh to one of the women so I was relieved that I would at least be able to communicate with her. She came in and I greeted her warmly and with respect. I asked her name and requested her help with my needs. Within a few minutes I had her smiling and expressed my appreciation for taking time out of her busy day to help me. I went back later in the week to pick up the items and I was greeted warmly with a smile and a "come again" as I paid for my items.

What determines how we engage one another? Do I treat someone differently based on their position, education or age? Am I willing to treat someone with respect irregardless of how I am being treated by them or how I am feeling at the time? I recently read that we are to "do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility, consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests but also to the interests of others". A good reminder that each day people come into our lives who WE will make an impression on....what image will they be left with after that encounter?

No comments: