Thursday, May 15, 2008

Culture Shock

As I have walked the streets of London over the past few days I find myself experiencing a bit of culture shock. Old brownstones, fancy cars, outrageous prices, creature comforts from home and everything is in English. Green grass, clean streets, pristine gardens, customer service with a smile, an apology even when something was your fault, mass transit systems, accents and languages from all over the world, fresh avocados, Starbucks (I refuse to pay $6 for a cup of java even if it is from there). Drinking water out of the tap, flushing toilet paper (still can't get myself to do that). No one following me around the store being suspicious that I might steal something. Dogs being walked on leases everywhere...not a stray in sight. Fashion...let's not even go there.

I arrived in London last Saturday after a very LONG wait in the Moscow airport. Made my way to Alice's place where she gave me a great place to sleep and call home base for a few days. She let me borrow an Oyster card (better and cheaper way to get around on the public transportation system) and an orientation on where to go and what to do.
I have made it to Kensington Gardens, the museum of Natural History, National Gallery, London Eye, Big Ben, Covent Gardens, Regent's park, etc. So for the past few days I have been exploring London while waiting for Annie to get here (arrived on the 13th). She injured her back last week and had to delay her trip by several days. She's not yet 100% but is doing better. We will then head to the Cotswold and then up to Manchester to see a friend there. Early next week it will be on to Belfast!


No comments: