Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What do you mean you don't take cash?

I am staying in London with my friend Alice and since I was going to the Russian embassy she asked if I might drop off her visa application at the Kazakh embassy about a mile away. After my long wait at the Russian embassy, I had about 45 min. to get to the Kazakh embassy before it closed. No problem...got to the nearest underground tube station and waited for the line that would take me there. Whoops...same line that was having problems in the morning. After having spent 3 days now in London, I thought I was getting a handle on this public transport bit. I decided to get on a different line and get off two stops before where I needed to be and walk. Got out and had no idea where I was and after asking realized that I was still a ways off. Mind you, it closes at 12 and it was 11:45. After a brisk walk I realize that the only way I would make it was to grab a taxi. Hailed a taxi and got to the embassy at 11:55...whew.

I happily spoke to the guy in Kazakh (I don't think he was impressed) and he took the application. He then asked for payment of £20 which I had in my pocket. I handed him the bill and he said, 'we don't take cash, only credit card or bank transfer'. What!?! Since the Russian embassy said it didn't allow handbags I had left my purse and cards at home. He said, we close in a few minutes so there is no time to process this, you will have to come back another day. Oh my land...you must be kidding me! He must have seen the look on my face as I asked, "can't I pay it when I pick it up?" He said, he would only make this one exception and wrote a note at the top of the application.

There was a huge sense of relief as I exited the building shaking my head of course at my morning "adventures". I almost got run over by a guy that had obviously run there based on the sweat dripping off his nose and breathing heavy, I sure hope he brought his credit card!

No comments: